Alpha chapter of Mu Phi Epsilon was organized at the Metropolitan College of Music. At the first meetings, the Constitution and bylaws were adopted, the design of the badge and shield were selected along with the sorority's colors, flower, aims and ideals.
Within a month, the sorority expanded with the installation of Beta chapter at the New England Conservatory in Boston on December 13, 1903, and Gamma Chapter at the University of Michigan School of Music at Ann Arbor on May 20, 1904.
In 1936, the sorority changed status form a National Music sorority, as it was originally chartered, to an Honor society. In 1944, it changed to a Professional Music Sorority, after definitions of general, honor and professional sororities were formulated and accepted by the National Conference on College Fraternities and Societies.
Mu Phi Epsilon became international with the installation of Alpha Tau Chapter at the Philippine Women's University in Manila, Philippine Islands.
In 1977, in compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, Phi Epsilon became co-educational.
Today, Mu Phi Epsilon has 134 chapters in three countries, 75 alumni chapters and more than 60,000 members.