Internships and Summer Opportunities
for Mathematics Students
There are many outstanding internship and other summer opportunities that
allow mathematics students to apply and expand their knowledge in an academic,
business or other professional setting as they earn money. Below are
listed several such opportunities; if there are others that should appear
here, then please mention them to Prof. Calvis of the Department of Mathematics and Computer
Science of Baldwin-Wallace College.
Note that B-WC students may also earn academic credit for their internship
experiences under the Field Experience/Internship
Program sponsored by the Office of
Archives Summer Programs
- This listing is part of the very useful Undergraduates' Page
from the exhaustive Mathematics
Archives WWW Server.
Undergraduate Professional Opportunities Page
- From SIAM's Undergraduate
Page, sponsored by the Society
for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.
Programs Page from MAA Online
- The Mathematical Association of America
is the world's largest professional organization devoted to the needs of collegiate
mathematics. While you're there, also see the MAA Student Page.
Science, Math, and Engineering
- Lots and lots of links; perhaps begin by searching on "mathematics
- Research Experiences
- The REU program offers talented undergraduates in mathematics an outstanding
opportunity to work on actual mathematical research at various college and
university campuses around the country under the guidance of faculty supervisors.
This competitive program would be especially valuable to students who intend
to pursue graduate study in pure mathematics. Participants are provided
with stipends and often housing for the summer as well.
- Summer Mathematics Program
for Women Undergraduates
- This intensive four-week program is held at Carleton College and St. Olaf College campuses,
and is open to woman mathematics students completing their freshman or sophomore
years of college.
- Summer Program For Women
- A five-week research program sponsored by The George Washington University for undergraduate
women in mathematics completing their junior year.
- Summer Undergraduate
Applied Mathematics Institute
- A summer research institute in applied mathematics sponsored by the
Mathematical Sciences Department
of Carnegie Mellon University.
- Summer Undergraduate
Mathematical Science Research Institute
- This Institute is conducted each summer under the guidance of the Miami University Department of Mathematics
and Statistics; students participate in problem seminars in mathematics,
statistics or computer science, prepare for the GRE, give and attend presentations
and participate in other activities intended to further their professional
Business, Industrial, and Engineering Programs
- AT&T Labs hires a large
number of interns each summer in a wide variety of research areas of interest
to mathematics students.
- CWRU Career Planning
- This page from Case Western Reserve
Universityis a must-see if you are interested in internships in engineering
or any sort of applied science. There is lots of good material here, so take
- INFORMS Summer Internship
- The Institute for Operations Research
and the Management Sciences is a professional organization for these closely
related fields. This Service allows students not only to browse existing
intership opportunities advertised by employers, but also to post applications
of their own for prospective employers to view.
- Watson Wyatt
- This acturial consulting firm with offices in downtown Cleveland offers
actuarial internships for undergraduate students.
Government Agency Programs
- Federal Reserve Bank
- The FRB offers career opportunities for mathematics students; check
for summer internships around March.
- The NASA Academy
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration
sponsors summer internships at several of its locations, including theGlenn Research
Center in Cleveland, Ohio.
- NSA Mathematics and Educational
- The National Security Agency,
responsible for "the centralized coordination, direction, and performance
of highly specialized technical functions in support of U.S. Government activities
to protect U.S. communications and produce foreign intelligence information",
offers challenging summer opportunities to top-caliber undergraduate mathematics
- ORISE Student/Faculty
- The Oak Ridge Institute for
Science and Education, managed by the U.S. Department of Energy, sponsors a
wide variety of internship opportunities for mathematics and other students
at all levels, for example Energy
Research Undergraduate Laboratory Fellowships. Take your time visiting
- Argonne National Laboratory
- ANL is operated by the University of Chicago for the U.S. Department of Energy. See their Division of Educational Programs page.
- U.S. Department of Energy
- Opportunities available at national laboratories and other research